Portobello Pizza w/ Kale Walnut Pesto
February 2, 2015 by Rebecca Ryan (Leave a Comment)
Get your veg on with these AMAZING portobello “pizzas!” Everyone loves pizza, right? It tastes delicious but is not something you necessarily want to be eating all the time if you are trying to eat clean, are possibly sensitive to dairy or need to be gluten free. Yes, there are GF alternatives, but why not take the nutrient factor to another level with a portobello mushroom “crust?!”
This recipe was created for a new Keep It Real Meal Planning client who is pescetarian and lactose intolerant. This dish is vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free. I was thinking this dish could be an easy lunch or dinner while the kale & walnut pesto can be used with so many other things. For example, I used leftover kale pesto and mixed it with some quinoa and steamed veggies, Yum! You could also use it on pasta, fish or in an omelet. Let your imagination run wild!!!
If you are interested in having a meal plan customized just for you, CLICK HERE, for more information.
- 4 organic Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 oversized cups chopped organic curly kale (washed, stems removed)
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- 1-2 garlic cloves (depending how much you like garlic!)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (to taste)
- Fresh black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse kale leaves in food processor a few times. Then add walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- With food processor running, add the olive oil. Scrape sides down, if necessary and blend again. Check for seasoning.
- With a damp cloth, clean off mushrooms. Cut stem down and place stem side up on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake mushroom caps on their own for 8 minutes. Remove from oven, place 2 tablespoons of pesto in each cap and spread.
- Place back in the oven for 15 mins.