Dairy Free Banana “Cream” Parfait
April 29, 2017 by Rebecca Ryan (Leave a Comment)
This banana cream is hands down, delish! It is so velvety and creamy yet there is no dairy! Perfect for vegans or those just looking to cut back on yogurt and ice-cream. Another bonus is that there is no added sugar in this recipe. Just one little date along with the bananas, cinnamon and vanilla bring enough sweetness and flavor to have your tastebuds singing! I had some super ripe bananas on the counter and some leftover soaked cashews sitting in my fridge so I decided to try combining them for a low sugar treat. As healthy as I try to be, I must admit that the sugar deamon strikes after dinner. I think we’ve all read about how sugar is highly addictive and how too much sugar can lead to weight gain and other health issues but, unfortunately for us, sugar makes everything taste good! This recipe will satisfy that sweet tooth without the guilt of the added white stuff, syrups or honey! You can divide your parfaits into small portions to keep things in check. I put mine in 4 oz. canning jars with a little fruit and a little flax. If you divide them this way, you with stretch the servings so you can enjoy them for a longer time period or share with others (maybe)! You can also divide the cream mixture in little freezer safe containers or a muffin tin with liners for a frozen treat.
I highly recommend using a Vitamix for this recipe. I know they are somewhat expensive but owning one is worth every penny. Its high power truly gets your recipes to a level that a regular blender cannot reach. You will use it over and over again for recipes like this, soups, hummus, almond or cashew milk, nut butters and smoothies. Let me know if you give this a try!
- 1.5 cups raw cashews, soaked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pitted date
- 2 small, ripe bananas or 1.5 large, ripe bananas
- Extra parfait ingredients such as fruit, nuts, granola, flax meal, etc.
- Soak cashews with just enough water to cover for a few hours or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Add cashews to a high powered blender (such as a Vitamix) with just enough water to cover along with all other ingredients.
- Blend for a few minutes until all ingredients are well incorporated. There should not be any visible date particles and no grit from the cashews.
- You can add more unsoaked cashews if you would like the consistency to be thicker or more water to loosen it.
- Have your extra parfait ingredients ready and divide the banana cream into little parfaits as you see fit. Keep refrigerated for up to 4-5 days. You can also freeze parfaits to make a mock ice-cream!