Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies!
March 2, 2016 by Rebecca Ryan (Leave a Comment)
Raise your hand if you like chocolate chip cookies!?! Although I can’t see you, something tells me that your hand is raised! I mean, what’s not to like? It contains chocolate, it stirs up childhood memories of licking the raw batter from the bowl and always hits the spot. I’m only just taking a break from eating them in order to share the recipe! However, you know me well enough by now to know that if I am posting a cookie recipe there has to be a healthy twist.
This recipe was adapted from an almond shortbread cookie recipe I recently saw in Food & Wine magazine. In an effort to eliminate the white flour and white sugar, I thought I would try whole spelt flour and some agave. I used the almonds the recipe called for in the first batch and they came out great (even if they were a little burnt since I forgot to set the timer)! I knew I was on to something and thought I would try the next round with chocolate chips since my girls love just about anything with chocolate. I was not wrong. These cookies have been a huge hit! Since these are super easy to make, delicious and a “healthier” version of your average chocolate chip cookie, I think I’ll be making these again and again!
(The batter for these cookies is vegan so just sub the regular chocolate chips for vegan chips or nuts if you would like to keep the cookie 100% vegan.)
- 1 ¼ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup almond flour/meal (I used bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup smooth almond butter
- ½ cup organic, unrefined coconut oil,melted
- ½ cup agave (can sub pure maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (use vegan chips for a vegan cookie)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the spelt flour, almond flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil with the almond butter and agave.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of batter for each cookie leaving space in between. This should make about 15 or so cookies.
- Bake for 15-18 mins until a deep golden color. Let cookies cool (if you can resist)!