Barley Risotto w/Asparagus, Mushrooms & Peas
February 12, 2015 by Rebecca Ryan (Leave a Comment)
What says, “I love you” more than a home-cooked meal for your loved one?! Why not make something special this Valentine’s day such as this healthy, delicious, vegetarian barley “risotto.” I used asparagus, mushroom, peas and onions but you can switch it up and use anything you have on hand. Keeping things on the lighter side with a vegetarian meal is a good way to nourish your body without consuming as many calories as you would with a heavier meat dish. This “risotto” is also dairy free and; therefore, will not be as dense as risottos you typically find recipes for and/or find on restaurant menus. This dish is basically a Valentine home-run as you will get points for actually making it AND will feel light, energized and ready for any after dinner activities! What, did I just say that? But seriously, pair with your favorite vino and enjoy some quality time with your special Valentine!
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 3 ½ cups water or vegetable stock (divided)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms of choice, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup asparagus, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons mirin (rice cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (I used parsley and basil)
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt (more for seasoning at the end)
- Fresh black pepper
- Place 1 cup of pearled barley in a pot with 3 cups water or vegetable stock (or a mixture of both). Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Barley should be tender at this point. Drain any excess liquid and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Add onions and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Be sure to move onions around so they don’t burn.
- Add sliced mushrooms and asparagus. Saute for a few minutes and add garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes more and then add the mirin. Saute for 2 minutes more and then add the cooked barley into the pan.
- Add the extra ½ cup vegetable stock (or water) and the fresh herbs. Fold all ingredients together. Add more salt/pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!